There are many tasks that stepfamilies need to accomplish in
order to complete the development involved in becoming "family."
Experts say this process can take up to seven years. Some of the
following tasks will be easier than others, while others will
need to be revisited and reworked many times. All of them contribute
to creating a family with a new identity… your stepfamily.
- Identifying and processing the many
losses and changes of all stepfamily members.
- Building and maintaining a strong couple
- Learning to parent together.
- Defining (and re-defining) the role
of the stepparent.
- Finding support and education specific
- Respecting each family's past traditions
and rituals as a base from which to build new ones.
- Recognizing the differing developmental
stages (and implications) of all stepfamily members.
- Developing resilience and positivity.
to Concerning Stepfamilies